Thomas Stevens. The first man to successfully cross the U.S. by bicycle. He later went on to ride around the world.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Eads, CO











Rode 104 miles today into the town of Eads. Its bizarre how quickly Colorado starts to look like "Colorado" the moment you cross the border. The scenery is beautiful and I started feeling like I was in a John Ford movie. One drawback to Colorado roads, at least for cyclists, are a plant referred to by locals as "goatheads". When the "fruit" of the plant dries and falls off it becomes hard and acts like a thumbtack just sitting in the road. I fell victim to one myself today. They are especially frustrating because they are so small and dark, they blend in with the road and you can't exactly swerve around them. Just have to hope for the best! I'm only a few days from the Rocky Mountains and cannot wait to finally see them sprout up from the horizon as I pedal towards them. 

2 comments:

  1. These pictures are all from your phone, aren't they? You're taking really great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No these are from the digital camera!! I barely use my phone for photos anymore. I was using it a bunch for a short while there because the original camera i brought with me crapped out in Kentucky somewhere. But I stopped at wal-mart and bought the cheapest digi camera they had. But thanks a lot for enjoying the photos! They don't even come close to seeing the real thing though. Especially when you're trying to take a picture of something as wide open and huge as the landscapes in Kansas and Colorado.

    ReplyDelete