Thomas Stevens. The first man to successfully cross the U.S. by bicycle. He later went on to ride around the world.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 7: Cape Charles, VA to Yorktown, VA to James City, VA

My campsite









After an amazing nights sleep I awoke to breakfast at a table with a group of people I'd never met before. By the time I'd eaten my food and drank and my OJ though, I'd figured out a way to get me and my bike across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Ann and Whit were celebrating their anniversary by sneaking away to a b&b and ended up offering me a ride back over to Yorktown and giving me a grand tour of the area. They are about the nicest people you could ever meet and I'm eternally grateful.
Two superstars of niceness!
It took me 5 days to get down to the actual starting point of the TransAmerica Trail (http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm) but finally I was here and I can't describe how excited I was to finally be heading west. I felt like my whole trip was finally coming together now. I could throw away the scribbled notes and scraps of paper I'd used to get me from New Jersey to this point and start using some actual maps. This was one of the best days of riding I've ever had period.
PICS!:
Victory Monument




I had to pull over and go for a swim in the James River.











No comments:

Post a Comment